Want to succeed in business? By 2020, I predict we are all going to be measured, in some degree, by how much we share our knowledge with others in personal and written form, how many people we help in their business life and how we educate and empower. I predict:
1) Professor’s transition from lecturers to facilitators of the geniuses of their students. Professors knowledge and ability to research will be more critical than ever, however research life cycles will shorten dramatically. Research will come from the students so having the right population will be key. Selection of a course will move from a class topic to an end result both for the student and the professor.
2) Class cost will vary on who is taking the course with you. The more experienced the students the more they have to bring to the table. Therefore for younger less experienced students that want the inside information, they will have to pay a premium. Conversely, those with advanced experience will pay less and be given special benefits such access to mentor and supporter opportunities of less experienced individuals. Classes that are 100% lecture oriented will be migrated to a free service. One-way communication of topics will be helpful to learn the history or fundamentals in order to participate in conversational learning.
3) Business leadership will include not only the ability to influence, to lead and create value and vision but it will also include the ability to create a legacy for themselves which will include who they have mentored, supported, advocated and promoted. A new question will be “how many people have you developed and promoted?”
4) Corporate education, training and corporate universities will be part of the portfolio of “must haves” to compete for top talent. Curriculum will be more advanced than general topics and the frequency similar to strategy meetings. New candidates will ask to see the Company’s curriculum and understand the education strategy and tactics before they make a decision.
5) Leaders in business will be expected to write articles, be thought leaders in their space, and help others through creative content. Leaders will be judged on how freely they share their knowledge and how they empower others.
6) Online education will be social and collaborative affecting almost all of our human senses. Online tools will include movie elements such as music, suspense, mystery, love, action and sadness. The duration will be in the form of short film and the style will be interactive.
7) Lines will be completed blurred between education and entertainment. People’s awards such as Emmy, People’s Choice, and new awards will be given to companies, universities and people who produce award winning “edutainment” content that is impactful.
So what do you do today if this is the future? Start moving your thinking, your leadership and your company in this direction. Be a Writer, a Mentor and a Futurist if you want to be successful. People like pioneers who see it first, go there first and bring others with them.
Your thoughts matter, what do you think?